It's Whale Shark Day today! Lets raise some awareness for the biggest fish in the ocean! Check out the awesome video by Shark Academy all about these fascinating creatures!
- We don't know what the maximum size of whale sharks is, but we know it could be as large as 20m! And on average they weigh about 11 tons!
- The female whale shark gives birth to live young but this has never been observed!
- The come to the surface of the water to feed on plankton but may dive to 1000m.
- The iconic spots on a whale shark are like human fingerprints, they allow individual sharks to be identified. By taking photos and cataloguing them, WWF has identified 458 different whale sharks in the Philippines.
- The demand for whale sharks meat, fins and oil mean that they are highly valued on international markets. This remains a threat to this species, particularly by unregulated fisheries. They are often the victims of bycatch, (accidentally being caught in fishing gear where they weren't the target).
The video bellow is of a scuba diver, who has since been arrested for riding this whale shark!
In Mexico, whale sharks are a big part of the economy and tourism. If you visit Mexico you can get up close and personal with these giant fish, there are plenty of tours and oppotunities to swim with whale sharks, but is it safe for the endangered creatures?
Half Price Whale Tail Necklace!
FOR THIS WEEK ONLY in celebration of Whale Shark Awareness Day we are offering all customers a HALF PRICE Whale Tail Necklace worth $24.95.
We also have some AMAZING discounts if you want to purchase more for your friends and family! Spread the word and raise more awareness for these amazing creatures!
>> Get 5 Necklaces for just $40!! (SAVE OVER $80)