"Preventing plastic pollution and encouraging solutions for a healthy ocean."
This year on World Oceans Day it is all about preventing the damaging effect of plastic pollution on our beautiful oceans and coming up with solutions to help create healthier and happier oceans.
The oceans cover over 70% of our planet and is very important to all of us in one way or another. The ocean plants produce most of the oxygen that we breathe! Not to mention that it is home to some of the most amazing wildlife on earth. Without it, we could not survive, which is why we must do everything we can to protect our oceans.
3 Last Minute Ways To Celebrate!
Didn't realise that today was World Oceans Day but still want to find a way to celebrate?
Don't worry we've got a helpful list of easy ways you can celebrate!
Raise awareness about the damaging effects of single use plastics on our oceans by sharing your thoughts and opinions online. Why not join our Clean Oceans Campaign on Facebook and become a part of the community there.
Go plastic free for the day! Avoid buying anything with single use plastic.
Plan a mini beach clean! This is an easy one, simply gather your friends and family and take a trip to your nearest coastline to collect as much of the trash as you can.
Find out more ways to celebrate last minute here.
Small Changes Make The Biggest Difference
If everyone were to make the same small changes to their lifestyles, the overall impact would be incredible and could really turn the tide on plastic pollution. Here are 5 of the easy swaps and changes you can make in your everyday life to reduce your single use plastic waste!
1) Say No To Straws! We have heard this a lot throughout the beginning of this year, and yet there are still hundreds of straws being used and discarded every day. If you really feel you can't avoid straws, then consider buying reusable straws.
2) Ditch The Plastic Bags! We all know this one, it is very much time to stop using plastic bags. A much more eco friendly alternative is to take your own bags grocery shopping with you.
3) Bring Your Own Water Bottles! As you are probably aware there are 50 billion bottles of water being bought each year and 80% end up in a landfill! We strongly recommend avoiding purchasing bottled water and instead get a durable reusable water bottle to fill up when you are on the go.
4) Move Away From Disposable Razors! The EPA estimates that 2 billion razors are thrown away each year, and none of them are recyclable! It is time to make the switch to a stainless steel option. These only need the metal blades changed and they can be recycled (carefully). See our razors here.
5) Avoid Plastic Wrap And Clingfilm! Plastic wrap is another example of single use plastic that ends up on landfills around the world. Using reusable silicone food bags and food covers will remove the need to waste so much clingfilm!