Talk Like A Pirate Day is on September 19th each year!
This event, now celebrated internationally, all started with a couple of guys cheering each other on using pirate slang whilst playing racquetball! You can learn all about the origin story of Talk Like A Pirate Day here.
Pirate Phrases and what they mean in English:
All hands hoay = Everyone get on the deck
Avast ye = Pay attention
Black spot = Death threat
Dance the hempen jig = To hang someone
Dungbie = Rear end
Hempen halter = The noose used to hang people
Hornswaggle = To cheat
Shiver me timbers = An expression used to show shock or disbelief
Abaft = Back area of the boat
Binnacle = Where the compass is kept on board the ship
Cackle fruit = Chicken eggs
Coaming = A surface that prevented water on the deck from dripping to lower levels of the ship
Duffle = A sailor's belongings
Head = Toilet on board the ship
Holystone = Sandstone that was used to scrub the ships
Here is a more in depth lesson into how you can speak like a pirate:
For all yee adults out there, 'ere arrr some of the top Pick Up Lines for Pirate!
10. Avast, me proud beauty! Wanna know why my Roger is so Jolly?
9. Have ya ever met a man with a real yardarm?
8. Come on up and see me urchins.
7. Yes, that is a hornpipe in my pocket and I am happy to see you.
6. I’d love to drop anchor in your lagoon.
5. Pardon me, but would ya mind if I fired me cannon through your porthole?
4. How’d you like to scrape the barnacles off of me rudder?
3. Ya know, darlin’, I’m 97 percent chum free.
2. Well blow me down?
And the number one pickup line for use on International Talk Like a Pirate Day is...
1. Prepare to be boarded.
Don't Ye Forget To Check Our Ocean Helper's Pirate Collection! Find some true treasures bellow!